Sunday, October 16, 2011

Namibia

Over the Botswana Independence weekend (September 30th-October 2nd) I went with a group of fellow volunteers to Namibia. It was a great vacation and a much needed break from the village life. We ventured over to spend our time in Winhoek and Swakopmund. Upon arrival in Windhoek we were amazed to see tall buildings and the hustle and bustle of the city life. It was refreshing. Over the next few days we spent much time soaking in the city life, eating great food, shopping, and going out to real bars. 



Our first night in Windhoek we got all dressed up and went to the Hilton Sky Bar. It was fun to get all dolled up, since being in the bush I don't really get that opportunity all that much. Sky Bar had a great view of the city, but some of our expensive drinks came out not soo good, luckily mine was alright. Guess the Hilton's need to come and teach their employees in Windhoek how to make a correct drink. 


View from atop Hilton Sky Bar
Another night we headed over to Joe's Beer House with two girls from Canada who had just finished up volunteering in Madagascar and two Zimbabwean guys who guide safaris all over southern Africa. We had met them at the backpackers we were staying at.  Joe's Beer House was a really interesting restaurant and had a lot of stuff to look at. If I am ever in Winhoek again I would definitely go back. It is known for their good beer and game meat. So of course a few of us had to get that! 5 of us tackled the meter beer and I also got to eat springbok, crocodile, ostrich, and ZERBA meat all in one sitting! 


The meter beer

mmm game meat kabob 
One night another volunteer and I went out to Karaoke bar. It was fun to brush up on my Karaoke skills. We preformed "Barbie Girl" by Aqua and I think we were a good crowd pleaser. We also met the entire Scotland National Cricket Team. They had been in Windhoek for 3 weeks playing Namibian teams. I tried to get one of them to explain Cricket to me, but after they explained I still didn't understand.

After spending a few days in Windhoek we hopped on a mini bus and rode 4 hours to Swakopmund. Swakopund is a really cute German town that is nestled between the ocean and  sand dunes. 


Our backpackers was half a block away from the beach which was awesome. Unfortunately it was too cold to swim, but the view was great. The first night we went and watched the sunset and as always it was breath taking.






In Swakop we were able to eat some good sea food and relax. One of the other volunteers and I found some Paulaner Hefe-WefBbier beer. I was very excited to have some good beer again. 


One day we all went out to do the quad-biking out on the dunes. This was by far my favorite part of the trip. I got to ride the dunes for 2 hours and would have loved to have been out there even longer. At one point our guide stopped to show us the dune where they do the sandbaording. I was able to talk him into letting us go down on the lie-down boards a couple times. That was pretty fun but also very tiring walking back up the dune, so I am glad I only paid to do the quad biking. The views of the dunes from the bike were amazing and I got some great pictures:





just like sledding but on sand :)
We also meet some more interesting people from around the world and made some friends with some people from South African, Angola, Israel, and Holland. Which is what I love about backpackers. One person we met was the Ice Man (aka Wim Hof), who has around 20 Guinness World Records, one being having the fastest time running a marathon in snow and ice bare foot. We were able to talk with him a little bit at breakfast one morning. He was a very kind person with a really interesting back story. Apparently he and his crew had just got done filming him running a marathon in the desert without any drink of water! The most amazing thing though, was that he was fascinated and appreciative by what we were doing as PCVs in Botswana. It was good to hear that encouragement from a complete stranger, who is pretty amazing himself.

Namibia was great and it was hard to leave. Hopefully I will get to go back at some point in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment